Mark Prince


On the 4th April 1993, Mark made short work of his first pro opponent, Birmingham’s Bobby Mack, by stopping him in the second round, early baths followed for both his next pair of opponents, John Kaighin and Art Stacey, Kaighin only made it to the third and Mark knocked out Stacey in the second.

His fourth opponent, Simon McDougall, did manage to go the distance but it was to be eight bouts later until the next opponent, American Lenzie Morgan, went the distance with ‘The Prince’.

Newcastle’s John Pierre also went the distance in Mark’s next fight, but after that it was almost two years before any opponent made it to the final bell.

Manchester’s Maurice ‘Hard’ Core lasted seven rounds, Leeds based Welshman Michael Gale lasted six rounds before Mark hit the Championship trail.

On the 11th September 1997 Mark faced American Bruce Rumbolz, for the WBO Inter-Continental title. Once again Mark made short work of things, stopping Rumbolz after just one minute and fifty one seconds of the third round.

In December Mark made his first defense, against Chicago’s USA’s Wayne Hankins, of his newly acquired title, Hankin’s faired only slightly better than Rumbolz, well lasted forty two seconds longer.

Mark then faced seriously tough American Kenny Whack, for the IBF Inter-Continental title. After twelve hard fought rounds ‘The Prince’ added the prestigious IBF belt to his collection.

On the 19th September 1998 Mark challenged long time WBO World Light Heavyweight King Dariusz Michalczewski. at the Arena Oberhausen in Germany, for his crown.

It was a cracking very close all action bout, that was until with just ten seconds to go in the eighth round Michalczewski landed a short sharp left hook to send Mark crashing to the canvas.

Two months later Mark returned to action, against Kevin Mitchell – no not Dagenham’s ‘Mighty’ Kevin Mitchell, but the Greenwich Cruiserweight – who Mark summarily dispatched in just forty three seconds of the first round.

Mark retired from the sport shortly after with a 19 win (15 by way of KO) and just the single loss.

Post boxing Mark dedicated himself to helping disadvantaged youngsters, by coaching and mentoring them

Then just a few short years later Mark’s life changed dramatically, following the murder of his son Kiyan, a prodigious young footballer who played for Queens Park Rangers.

This personal tragedy spurred Mark to create the Kiyan Prince Foundation, – a not-for-profit organization that is committed to creating a legacy for Kiyan, by the combating of knife crime and other forms of youth violence.

Since creating the Kiyan Prince Foundation Mark has further dedicated his life to educating youngsters and campaigning for legislation on the carrying of knives. Mark was instrumental, along with then Mayor of London Ken Livingstone, in the lobbying for knife crime to be introduced into the Violent Crime Reduction act that went before Parliament and received Royal assent in November 2006.

In early 2013 Mark applied for his British license, but was refused without any reason given by the BBBofC.

Mark was determined to return to the ring, in order not just compete but also raise the profile of the Kiyan Prince Foundation, so successfully applied to the Malta Boxing Commission for a license.

On the 4th October 2013, at the York Hall in London, Mark made a most welcome return to the ring, where he faced Jindrich Velecky.

Mark soon proved that he had not only retained his skills but also his awesome power, when he stopped the Czech fighter in the fourth round of the planned six rounder.

Five months later, on the 1st March 2014 Mark was back at the York Hall to face Latvia’s Olegs Lopajevs in another planned six rounder, as before Mark’s opponent failed to go the distance, this time it was a first round stoppage finish.

Less than ten months after his return to the ring Mark was back in Championship action for the first time since his single loss against Dariusz Michalczewski, this time the amiable Londoner faced Czech Republic’s Jiri Svacina for the newly introduced MBC International Cruiserweight title.

After ten rounds of non-stop action Mark successfully became a Champion once more – in a totally dominant fashion, as was clear when the judges scorecards were read out, Judge Tony Cesay (Sierra Leonne) and Judge Lee Murtagh (Ireland) scored the bout 100-90 and Judge Keith Webb (UK) scored it 100-93, all in favour of the New MBC International Cruiserweight Champion Mark Prince.